Jumper (Part 2)



It was the first day of screening for the movie Jumper and I never thought there would be a lot of people watching it given that today is a weekday. Well, I guess they, just like me, were eagerly anticipating for this movie.

The movie revolves around a boy named Davy Rice (Hayden Christensen). Abandoned by his mother when he was 5 years old, he grew up in the hands of a what seemed to be a "no good" father. At school, he had this crush on a girl named Millie (Rachel Bilson) who was one of the popular girls in school (who later in the movie becomes his love interest). One day after class, because of an accident, Davy became aware of his abilities. Growing tired of his current situation, he decided to leave town and make his way to the world. And this, ladies and gentlemen, is where the story begins.



While watching the movie, all I could think about was "Wow! I wish I could do that!" Imagine having the ability to teleport (or "jump" as they call it) anywhere you want to go - Paris, Rome, Japan, China. I bet they can even jump to outer space if they wanted to... provided that they have the equipment and stuff needed for outer space... Anyway, just imagine the things you could possibly do with that kind of ability.



The special effects used in the movie were just simply awesome. But story wise, I wish they could have done better. I'm not really sure why but I seem dissatisfied with the story. I think the story was cramped and compressed so much that it left me with a lot of unanswered questions. Well, hopefully they will be answered when a sequel comes out.

And oh! Before I forget, a little bit of warning to those who have read the book Jumper by Steven Gould. The movie is nowhere near the story from the book even if you have read its sequel Reflex. Sure some of character names and some of the events are the same, but the plot of the movie is just way, way off from that of the book. There is however another book by Steven Gould entitled Jumper: Griffin's Story . It is about another jumper named Griffin whose character is present in the movie but not in the books Jumper and Reflex. This could be one of those attempts to bridge the film and the books.



Quote: "Anywhere Is Possible"

2 comments:

mishel | February 13, 2008 at 6:24 PM

I want Davy's power big time!!!..(bazerk!!) lol

I wonder what happened to Griffin? Oh well, I hope they make a sequel..got to go! (bazerk!!) ;)

kuroro | February 13, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Right! I would do anything to have Davy's power! ^^

About Griffin, I guess he's going to be alright. By the way, if you want to know more about his character, read the book Jumper - Griffin's Story. ^^

P.S. What's bazerk?